Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Slim Addiction: Where is the problem?

While I was reading a Yehey! article it came to my mind that many women nowadays are going through excessive dieting and exercising to lose all the fats that they could. Honestly, I was one of them. Hehehe I’ll just share one story to you. Last 2005, it was my big year. I was turning 18 and my mother prepared a debut for me. Yep, with all the gown and the balloons. Wow, that was a dream come true for me because I always wanted to feel like a princess. I was really excited that year however; I had one problem I was really fat (well I am still fat). This was a dilemma for me and my mom because I wanted to look good on my gown. This started the dieting galore that I tried. I did the three day diet but it did not work that much. So, my mom said that she was willing to spend just to see more results. Yep, we did it. She enrolled me in a south beach diet and it cost us ???? (secret). The diet did give results. I lost 5-8 lbs in two weeks. Hehehe that’s already a big difference for me. Unfortunately, I was not able to maintain it and now I’m back to my fatness. Hehehe

With this, experience I ask myself where really is the problem. Is it in the person because she is fat or is it in the kind of society that the person is in? If I were to answer this, I would say both. First of all, the problem is in the person because she is the one who allows people to influence her thinking. In a society, there will always be different views and opinion and it is up to the person whether she will let this society dictate who she should be. It is only she who can decide whether to follow the perception of the members of the society.

On the other hand, I believe the problem is also in the society because the kind of society that we are in is discriminating. Many people now laugh at women who are chubby and fat. These women are also the usual butt of everyone’s jokes. I, myself is a witness to that because during my elementary days all the boys in my class kept calling me “lechon” and “batchoy”.

With these instances experienced by fat women, can you blame them if they wished to be slim?

Check out http://www.yehey.com/lifestyle/woman/article2.aspx?id=31068

No comments: