Thursday, May 15, 2008

Our Poor Country...

Poverty has been the problem of our country for many years. The government has been implementing programs to fight poverty but it seems like the situation of the poor Filipinos just worsens. It looks like the programs are not really responding to the needs of the poor.

For 20 years I have been living near a squatter’s area, but I still don’t know the reason why many people there are poor. During my childhood days I remember going to that area to play hide and seek and my mom always scolded me at home because according to her “maraming addict at lasinggero sa taas, Kae. Gusto mo bang ma-kidnap?” Pero marami talaga ang hirap sa buhay sa barangay namin. I always see this whenever we have rummage sales in our garage kasi minsan kahit limang piso na lang yung pinagbebenta naming pinag-iisipan pa ng ibang tao kung bibilhin ba nila or hindi. There was even one time when a walis vendor dropped by our house during the sale and he saw that we had a rubber shoes for sale. It was only worth Php30 but he was really hesitant to buy it. Being exposed to these situations makes me think about what the government does to help these people. Whenever I see them I really feel how lucky I am to belong to a family that may not be rich but can survive everyday with some excess.

As a student, I may not be able to really help them rise from poverty but I can continue praying for the government to do its role in social development. Let’s just hope and pray that the day will come when no one has to live in poverty anymore.

No comments: